Thursday 12 February 2009

on shop tripping and the vibrating mascara

I was walking through Selfrges today to see new Chanel earrings when I wondered through the beauty section. And as always, when I'm shop tripping, I pick a brand and give the sales staff a bit of a test on how they really know their product. I've been doing this ever since a friend told me that for some brands they only train the temps on the day. I think for Selfridges you can single them out. Check out for badges with names rather than ones just saying Sales Associate. I assume Sales Associate badges are just distributed on the day. It's not to say that all temps are bad at their job. In fact last night, at Bare Minerals, the one with the Sales Associate badge was better than the one with the name badge.

Anyway...on to the vibrating mascara. First question for the sales staff was if it was battery operated. She said yes and that the battery lasts as long as the mascara does...3 months. Now ladies, there's more reason to throw away this one after it's intended shelf life. You don't really want a "non vibrating" vibrating mascara would you? Then I asked what I can do if the battery ran out. And she just repeated herself saying, "No it will last as long as the mascara does." So I'm assuming no batteries sold for this one. Then she said or you can still use it without the vibration. Bingo! Wrong answer...she just said the product can still be attractive without it's unique selling point..very bad...again who would want a "non vibrating" vibrating mascara? LOL

I asked her to apply it for me because I was afraid of blinding my eye with the vibrating wand..how weird it is to say that! You really couldn't feel it move much. In Elle, it has been mentioned that Oscillation moves upwards and downwards instead of sideways. I guess that would explain why you didn't need to use force in helping your lashes to curl upwards. No need for pre-mascara eyelash curling as well! Your lashes will be nicely separated so you can say goodbye to your lash comb too.

I wanted to try it for a night out but alas prediction of snow stopped the girls from heading out. I fell asleep for a while and it smudged as expected. The good part is that even after wearing for about 8 hours my eyes still didnt itch which usually happens to me when I wear mascara. One will just need to get used to pressing the button during application. As if applying a mascara with open mouth wasnt enough! LOL

Damage to your purse will be 28 pounds but you can say goodbye to your eyelash curler and your lash comb...let's just hope the battery doesnt run out!

Photo from Lancome USA website:




No comments: